Working with your son or daughter to help them make good decisions about their future finances and yours is an important way you can help them succeed.

For parents of college students, that usually means learning about financial aid. The information below will get you started.

Student Rights to Privacy—and How to Call About Your Student's 援助

  • The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gives students certain rights with respect to their education records.
  • 基于FERPA, anyone calling IUP on behalf of a student must be authorized on the Student Record Release Authorization for information to be shared.
  • 通过MyIUP, students can give specific individuals or entities permission to view and discuss their educational and financial record information. Though students can choose the types of information shared, access to grades can be important when checking if students are making Satisfactory Academic Progress to keep their financial aid.
  • 学生应该去 MyIUP然后是个人信息. 在个人信息页面, look for the heading Student Information, and then choose Record Release Information to get to the online form.
  • 学生需要 create a keyword and phrase 授权用户.
  • For information, visit the 司法常务官办公室.

Parent and Family Member Orientation

Students aren't the only ones going through a big change as college begins. That's why we hold spring/summer Parent and Family Orientation. Parent and Family Orientation takes place at the same time as the two-day freshman student program or the one-day transfer student orientation program.

Parent and Family Orientations include multiple topics helpful for parents and family members, including a presentation from the 财政援助办事处. 请浏览 演示文稿 presentation for an example of what the 财政援助办事处 presents during Parent and Family Orientations.

First Step for 援助—File Your FAFSA

When it comes to financial aid for college, the Free Application for Federal Student 援助 (FAFSA)是第一步. You'll need the IUP Code: 003277 to fill it out.

After a student completes the FAFSA, they receive an offer of student loans, 奖助金, 奖学金, and work-study jobs if they are eligible. If these do not cover the costs, parents can consider Federal Direct Parent PLUS 贷款 and Private/Alternative 贷款. 了解更多有关 经济援助的种类.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS 贷款

The Parent PLUS Loan is an additional loan option that the parent of a dependent undergraduate student can use to borrow on behalf of the student for educational expenses. A step-parent may apply on behalf of the student only if they are listed on the FAFSA.

The student must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis (six credits) in order to be eligible to receive the loan. 父母 can borrow amounts up to the cost of education minus other financial aid.

Private/Alternative 贷款 (父母 as Co-Signers)

Students are the borrowers. However, they most likely will need a co-signer. The co-signer can be a parent or other individual to co-sign the loan on behalf of an undergraduate or graduate student to help pay for college.

Usually, students first apply for Federal Direct 贷款. If this doesn't cover costs, then parents typically apply for Federal Direct PLUS loans before they apply for private/alternative loans, because Federal 贷款 tend to have better rates and terms.

For a complete list of private loan servicers who participate in this specific program, please visit ELMSelect. 有关更多信息,请参见 经济援助的种类.